Friday, September 14, 2007

Baseball and Possession

UPDATE

We have a winner!

Mr. Fox nailed it.

The play I had in mind is when the middle infielders are attempting to turn a double play. For example, ground ball to 2B, the 2B flips to the SS who drops the ball in the course of transfering the ball from glove to bare hand to make the throw to 1B.

These guys are so quick that the ball is in the glove for only a fraction of a second (and thus not clearly controlled in the glove). Yet the umpires, almost without exception, rule that if the ball is dropped in the process of turning the double play a catch is made and the runner is out at second. Thus, it is a Finkelman "non-catch" catch.

Congratulations to Mr. Fox!

Another Update

Daniel comes up big in comment 8 below--the intentional non-catch that is ruled a catch. I hadn't thought of this one, but I should have because I saw Mike Lowell try this tricky move and get caught in a Red Sox game earlier this season.



Since this is a big baseball weekend (Sox-Yanks--"say it ain't so, Joba"), here is a fun question for those of you who love the game of baseball to think about.

There is one play in baseball in which umpires basically use the Finkelman "you don't have to control the ball in your glove to make a catch" rule.

For 100 imaginary points, what is that play?