Thursday, April 16, 2026

MC Practice Question #3

 Here is a link to the relevant blog post: LINK

And here is the question:

             Last summer, I went to a Padres game with "old Stone-fingers,"Prof. Finkelman. We sat in the right field bleachers. Manny Machado hit a home run over the right field fence and Finkelman spotted the ball, tracked it, and raised his glove intending to catch it. But he squeezed his glove too soon. The ball hit his glove and fell to the ground. I bent over and picked up the ball. Finkelman demanded the ball and I refused to give it to him. If he sues me for possession of the ball, how is a court most likely to decide his claim? Assume that Major League Baseball, the original owner of the ball, has abandoned its claim to balls hit into the stands.

 

            A.        The court will rule for Finkelman because he stopped the ball’s momentum with his                         glove.

            B.        The court will rule for Finkelman because he spotted the ball first.

            C.        The court will rule for me because I was the first person to take possession.

            D.        The court will decide that Finkelman and I each have an equal claim to the ball and give each of us a one-half interest in the ball.

            E.        The court will decide that Manny Machado has the best claim to the ball because he hit  the home run.