Monday, January 17, 2022

Two Things For Spring Semester

 I just had an opportunity to read the evaluations, and I am quite pleased that most of you enjoyed the class. That’s great because it gets better! Or at least the issues we cover become more relevant to contemporary life. The first half of Spring Semester is a mini-course in constitutional law as it impacts on issues of property. So, get ready for a great ride.

I want to focus on two things several of you commented on—“organization” of reading assignments and outside office hours.

1. Some of you would like the syllabus to list particular dates for particular readings (instead of just telling you to always stay one full assignment ahead). I get this, but the problem is there is no way I can predict how long it will take to get through each assignment. I don’t move on to the next assignment simply because the clock runs out. I teach until I feel the class is ready to move on. So, one assignment on RAP might take 2 to 3 class sessions. I will try to make sure you know where we are on the reading—maybe a blog post after each class telling you where we are going tomorrow (I usually tell you that at the end of class, but I will try to get out a quick blog post as well). But the default rule will always be "stay one full assignment ahead." In other words, if we got half-way through assignment 10 from the syllabus today, make sure you have read through assignment 11 for tomorrow.

2. Outside office hours in the courtyard. Some of you want office hours in my office. I get that. But due to all the mandates, I work mostly from home. My thoughts for Spring (aka Winter) Semester are two-fold. I will hang around at the front of the room after each class for maybe 15 minutes or so. If you want to talk, don’t approach the desk (you gotta stay 6-feet away from me), but wait until the room clears out and sit in the second row or so. Then we can discuss your questions in Room 113 and I can teach from a 6-foot distance without wearing a mask. Second, I gave you my cell phone number and I am always available—night or day—for a telephone conversation. Do not hesitate to call me. Text me first, and I will call you back immediately or suggest a time for the call. I do not mind being called. I enjoy talking with students, so you should not hesitate to call me if you have a question or want to discuss something.

Just a note on courtyard office hours--my impression is more students took advantage of courtyard discussions this year than of regular "office hours" in past years. It was a rare day no one came to the courtyard, and we would often still be chatting an hour after the end of class. I really enjoyed these sessions. Even after Covid is a distant memory, I will have courtyard office hours during the Fall and the warmer part of Spring semester. I really enjoy chatting with y'all. And no office is as good as the great outdoors in beautiful Nebraska!